Monday, August 15, 2011

Appearances

When I arrived at work this morning, The Library Officer asked if I'd had a good weekend. "It was okay," I replied cautiously. I dread being asked about my weekends, convinced that everyone else has had much more fun doing whatever they've been doing. As I spent the weekend sleeping and recovering from the first week at my new job, this was probably true.

"Do any partying?" he asked.

Partying? Either he thinks I'm younger than I am or I'm unintentionally giving out some kind of party girl vibe. I just shook my head and laughed.

Later, as I was being shown around the prison, an inmate shouted, "Miss, do you want to party?"

WTF?

I was wearing trousers, a shirt and Dr Marten boots, hardly clubbing gear. I'm a quiet, bookish librarian who has never been confused for a party girl.

I'm starting to feel paranoid about my appearance: the men looking me up and down, the smirks, the second glances, the blatant staring and suggestive comments. I knew this would be an issue when working in a men's prison but actually experiencing it is so confronting. I've always been physically awkward and never liked being stared at so this is probably the worst place for someone like me.

No comments:

Post a Comment