The Library Officer offers me a lift home. In his car, I chat more normally than yesterday as I'm no longer hungover and tired. He asks if I would like to stop for a drink on the way and I say "yes" and he looks surprised. I, too, am slightly stunned. He parks and we walk past my old workplace on the way to the pub. I wonder what my ex-colleagues would think seeing us together. He is twenty-four years older than me and wearing his prison officer's uniform. He looks a bit self-conscious.
We order drinks and sit by the window and after a hesitant start, I start to feel more comfortable. He actually asks questions: What kind of food do I like? What music do I listen to? Would I live abroad again? Do I like flying? Nothing groundbreaking, nor too personal, but I like that he's interested. I've always found it bizarre that some men will talk to you as if you're a sponge on legs, willing to soak up their interests/experiences but not interesting enough to be listened to or be asked about your own. There is no flirting - I think we are both too conscious of having suddenly moved from a 'work' relationship into something undefined - but we chat and laugh and it's nice. We move to another pub nearer his car and he asks if I would like to do something on Friday as we both have the day off. I say that I'd like that and he looks pleased. He drops me near my house and I ask for his mobile number so I can text him my number. (I really must memorise my number or carry my phone with me at all times.) "Don't lose it," he says, handing me the slip of paper which I stuff in my purse.
At home, I leave it an hour before texting him. I have some vague idea of not seeming too eager. He replies immediately and we arrange to meet on Friday morning at 10.30am, which seems awfully early for a date. Perhaps it's not a date? My head is buzzing with all kinds of competing thoughts and I can't stop grinning. I confirm our meeting and don't hear back from him and start convincing myself that he has changed his mind. But I still go to bed grinning like a fool.
No comments:
Post a Comment